The Divisional Directors will use the following guidelines when assigning drop-in players:
- All teams must play with a minimum of 6 players.
- Drop-in players will be selected based on a random lottery system when there are more players than available positions.
- It is at the Division Director’s discretion to accept drop-in players based on skills appropriate to the Division.
- The weekly drop-in list will close 10 minutes after the start of each Division session. Subject to 1 above, if team vacancies remain after all drop-in players have been assigned, the Divisional Director may place late-arriving drop-in players on teams with fewer than 6 players.
- In the Recreational Division, drop-in players are rotated from team to team on a per match basis. More than the required number of vacancies may be accepted.
- In the Intermediate Two, Competitive and Open Divisions, drop-in players must indicate the position they prefer to play that week.
- In the Intermediate, Competitive and Open Divisions, drop-in players will be chosen by a team captain. Selection will be based on Divisional standings, with the last place team selecting first, fourth place team selecting second and so on until each team requiring a drop-in player has a minimum of 6 players.
- In the event there are fewer drop-ins than spots available, drop-ins will be placed on teams in order of necessity: i.e.: teams with the fewest available players will have higher priority. Even them out first; then the team with the least amount of points will have first pick for the remaining drop-ins (per #7). Forfeiting teams may be assigned drop-ins if it is in the interest of league play but they are not a priority and their team complement may be reassigned to other teams.
- In an unexpected situation, a drop-in player may be re-assigned by the Division Director to another team provided that there are at least 6 players remaining on the original team. Examples of an unexpected situation include, but are not limited to, player injury or being called away due to an unforeseen event or circumstance.
- Once a drop-in player is assigned to a team, they will play for the entire session. If core team members arrive late, it is at the team captain’s discretion as to whether the late-arriving member will be allowed to play.
- If a core team member arrives late and their team has been assigned a drop-in player, the drop-in player may only be reassigned to a second (different) team in the case where the second team has fewer than 6 players. Otherwise, guideline 10 (above) will be followed. All drop-in player re-assignments must be approved by the Division Director prior to the start of the next match.
- A drop-in fee will be required for each Division. The drop-in fee will be waived for current members of the VGVA Executive Board.
For the fun and fairness of the game.
Prepared by: J. Charlebois, T. Fraser, A. Steel, & K. Frisk, ~ VGVA Executive Board 2004 — 2005; VGVA Executive Board 2013 — 2014