The Vancouver Gay Volleyball Association operates five divisions of play during our regular season. The indoor volleyball play season starts at the beginning of September and runs till the end of April:
- Recreational – This level is for people who have never picked up a volleyball before, or for those volleyball enthusiasts who are not interested in a competitive system of play.
- Beginner – This division is designed for players who desire more than a recreational level of play but have little skill development background. Sessions focus on skill development and competitive volleyball strategies.
- Intermediate – This level is designed for players who have the ‘basics’ (i.e. bumping, setting, hitting, serving, etc.) down and would like to concentrate on refining these skills through drills and improving game sense through practice in a structured play enviornment. Must have played in one of the Intermediate Divisions previously or be familiar with a 6-2 system of play.
- Competitive – This division is designed for players who have been playing volleyball for a number of years. They have mastered the basics and specialized positioning (i.e. 6-2 format).
- Advanced Competitive – This division is designed for players who have been playing volleyball for a number of years. They have mastered the basics and specialized positioning (i.e. 6-2 format).
- Open Division – Our highest level of play, this level (formerly named Competitive Two) is designed for players who have been playing competitively for numerous years and possess high consistent skills. These players are seriously dedicated to winning the game and playing hard fast ball.
VGVA also runs summer grass volleyball. From June till the end of August, we offer free drop-in grass play on Sundays and a grass league (registration required) on Wedenesday nights: